We understand that choosing the right IBDP science subject can be tricky. But don't worry, For You Education here to help! Here are our top 4 tips on how to choose the perfect IBDP science subject for you from our tutors:
1. Consider your interests
- If you're passionate about a particular science topic, then pursuing it at IBDP level is a great idea! Not only will you enjoy the subject more, but you'll also find it easier to engage with the material.
- However, even if you're not particularly interested in any of the IBDP science subjects, that's okay too! Some schools offer a week trial for students who are still determining on which science to choose from, so make the most of your time. But remember, the key is to pick a subject that you feel you can understand and learn well.
2. Consider your university requirements
- Some universities require IBDP students to take certain science subjects in order to fulfil their offers. So, if you have your heart set on a particular university, make sure to check their entry requirements of your chosen universities before making your decision.
- For example, IBDP science subjects can be useful for students planning to study science or engineering at university, or if you're interested in studying medicine, you'll need to take HL Biology and Chemistry.
3. Consider your ability
- It's important to choose a subject that you're confident you can succeed in. As all of the IBDP science subjects can be challenging, therefore it's important to pick one that you feel confident about, which will greatly assist your understanding. That being said, if you're fully interested in the subject, not only this gives you a confidence boost, but gives you motivation. So, go for it!!!
4. Get in touch with us for a consultation
- Getting consultation with your school during the IB subject selection week can be helpful for you; IB science teachers can be the first choice for counselling, as they know the subject in depth. We recommend that you research all of the science subjects and prepare some questions, this will give you a sense of directions which will be useful during selection. Furthermore, you can also get in touch with one of our professional tutors about what science subject to choose from, they can give you advice based on your strengths and weaknesses and also personal experience.
- You can also get in touch with former IB students in your school; as they understand the stress and the study methods that are required for the science subject that they have chosen. Not only that, you should also ask around in IB forums which will give you greater information for your selection.
We hope these tips have been helpful. But, if you are still unsure about which science lesson to take, you can sign up for our IB curriculum consultation. Furthermore, you can take our IB summer preparation class, our IB summer preparation class will give you a taste of the three main IBDP science subjects: Biology, Chemistry, and Physics so you can see which one suits you best.
"Hesitating?" That's okay, you can try a lesson for free!